Friday, January 29, 2016

Happy 155th Birthday!

Today is my home state's birthday.... Kansas turns 155! It also happens to be one of my best friends birthday, yet she isn't nearly as old as t155, more like 1/5th as old. Its great having both of those on the same day, if I remember one I usually remember the other!

 This day is the anniversary of the 1861 admission of Kansas into the Union. It was first celebrated in 1877 in Paola, KS. I am sure those students had no clue what they started and where Kansas Day celebrations would go. Today many schools celebrate by taking tours, having guest speakers or making special crafts.  The name Kansas originates from the Kansa or Kaw tribe. Living in the Flint Hills is a little more special since this is the main territory of the Kaw Tribe. Their history is still celebrated yearly in towns such as Council Grove, who hosts Washunga Days.  Our local chamber is having a Kansas Day celebration, so I am going to wrap up this post, and head on over. 

Eat some sunflower seeds and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment