Sunday, October 16, 2011

World Food Day

Yep its today!  World Food Day "is a worldwide event designed to increase awareness, understanding and informed, year-around action to alleviate hunger. " source

The first thing I thought about was how lucky I am that I don't have to worry about where my next meal is going to come from. Sad though, that in many countries this is not the case. Fact: 925 million in chronic hunger worldwide (source United Nations)

The second, Thank a farmer or rancher if you ate a meal today. Those are the people that are producing and allowing us to eat and have that secure feeling. We need to increase the awareness of where that food is coming from and how it reaches our table.

Facts:
90% of Kansas land area is devoted to Agriculture production.

In the United States, one acre of wheat (depending on wheat class and where grown)yields an average 42 bushels of wheat.

Kansas is the largest wheat producing state, A bushel of wheat yields 42 commercial loaves of white bread source


I just wanted to give you a few facts to think about and help you put into perspective what a farmer/rancher does and how that effects you. If one KS farmer quits planting wheat, how is that going to impact you? Maybe not drastically, but think if every KS  farmer quits? Would you be able to afford a loaf of bread to make a PB&J?

So for World Food Day, be thankful and let a farmer and rancher know that their hard work is worth it. If your in Ag production as my family and I are..... Keep up the good work- I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment