Friday, May 4, 2012

Fashion Friday-Cap & Gown

Today, I get my Masters from Oklahoma State University. Next Friday I will have pictures!
 Its been awhile since I have give a Fashion Friday along with history lesson so here is goes! Short and sweet as usual.

1222- was the first year (as far as I can find) that gowns were worn by graduates.

Robe or Gown: The three types of degrees each have a different style gown. Master's gowns have oblong sleeve, open at the wrist, with the base hanging down, and rear part of the oblong cut square while the front arc cuts away.

Hood: Academic Hoods are black, made from the same fabric as the gown. They vary in length depending on the degree from three feet to four feet, and the doctoral hood is wider. Lined with college or university colors, they typically have one field color and one chevron color, though sometimes there are school specific variations. The edge of hoods are velvet in the color of the degree subject

Mortarboard or Cap: Mortarboards are flat rather than "poofy" at the top, are not made from velvet, and are also usually black but come in a variety of colors and variations are more frequent than with tams. Mortarboards have only four sides, and typically have a tassel with a single button at the top, usually in the color of the degree-granting institution.

You can read more here.


  1. CONGRATS on your Master's Degree!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!

  2. Congrats!!! That is so exciting and I'm sure you're glad it's over - yet proud of your accomplishments. Way to go!