Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day!

Happy May Day! What a beautiful day is was. I have had a few people ask me what May Day is and why we celebrate it. After reading and reading it seems that it depends on what country you are from as to the meaning. The first "May Day" was celebrated in Europe and has various meanings. The one I found particularly interesting was the correlation of May Day and agriculture. It seems as though in ancient times agriculture was a focus of many holidays and May 1st was when the planting was usually done so they gave the farm laborers the day off.

So today as I thought of May Day, I doubt that many farmers or ranchers took the day off. Sunday is often called a day of rest, however this afternoon I saw a beautiful site: My grandpa and grandma working side by side in our garden. To me today was a day of growth and hope. To see my grandparents together and with the health to be outside was a blessing. 

One of the traditions in the United States are May Baskets. These baskets are small and usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone's doorstep. The basket giver would ring the bell and run away. The person receiving the basket would try to catch the fleeing giver. If they caught the person, a kiss was to be exchanged. Living in the country and miles from a neighbor it was usually my house that I left the May Basket at. I look back at these traditions and am so thankful that my family has shared them and helps keep them alive. I am also thankful that my family has raised me on a farm and has instilled the agriculture lifestyle and work ethic that was demonstrated today by both my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment